The bright side
When you spend 8 1/2 days out of 10 in bed, you begin to get a bit negative about things. Rather than dwell on all the bad aspects of the past week, which dawned with a horrible chest cold and was capped off by a severe sinus infection, I will instead reflect on the positives, not in any particular order:
- I read seven magazines, half of a very detailed book on Korean culture (which explains a lot about why Devin was sleeping from 11 p.m.-7:00 a.m. in his foster home vs. the 8:00 p.m.-6:30 a.m. shift he follows here), and 3/4 of this month’s book club selection
- Great bonding time with my cats — they snuggled right in next to me
- I got to eavesdrop on my husband and son, who had some very sweet and funny interactions
- All the ice cream I could eat (since I really had no appetite for anything else)
- I lost many of the seven pounds I’d gained over the last few months (I know, I know…very shallow of me to be excited about that)
- Repeated viewings of Law & Order!
- Scott would bring Devin up several times a day and have him “repeat after me”: I love you, Mommy!
- I didn’t have to clean the catbox
- Although I wasn’t able to be outside in the sunshine, I did get to enjoy the warm rays that fell across my bed
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner in bed